St. Mary of the Assumption School has a long history of success and merit dating back to the fall of 1952 when four Ursuline nuns arrived and took residence in the then newly remodeled convent to teach to both the community and 113 students. Under the direction of Father Joseph Dreher, the parish raised funds for an eight-classroom addition to the school as well as an auditorium/gymnasium.
In 1964, the school consisted of 950 students, 550 public school elementary students and 250 high school students attending religion classes. Sometime between 1971 and 1977, an enclosed hallway connected the two school buildings.
In the 1980’s, the Kindergarten was moved from the church basement to the Sunshine Room in the school and school classrooms were increased to meet the needs of student enrollments. In 1992 Farrell Hall was added onto the school and dedicated in honor of Father John Farrell. Father Farrell purchased the land where our present church and school are located.
In 2000, plans were announced to refurbish the school by adding classrooms once again and using the old gymnasium to house the current library and science center. The Weaver Activity Center was built to replace the original gymnasium built in 1956.
Since the beginning of St. Mary of the Assumption School, our school has grown in both size and population to include over forty staff members along with over 500 students. In addition, there are more than 200 students enrolled in the Parish School of Religion. St. Mary of the Assumption School has continues to be a model of excellence and virtue to the children of Northeast Ohio.